This Blackstone caprese chicken sandwich is packed with juicy tomatoes, tender fresh basil, and creamy fresh mozzarella cheese slices. This is a simple and quick Italian style sandwich ready to eat within 30 minutes (after the chicken has been marinated).
Soft ciabatta bread serves as the perfect foundation for this griddle grilled chicken caprese sandwich. It is loaded with fresh mozzarella, hand-picked basil, farmers market tomatoes and marinated chicken breast that is fall apart tender.
The basil flavor in my caprese sandwiches is what takes it to the next level. A Blackstone sandwich that combines traditional tastes you cannot beat.
Have you ever done a double take? This chicken sandwich recipe is worth a double take!! Six simple ingredients are all that you need to make this perfect chicken caprese sandwich.
As an Amazon Associate, a Walmart Affiliate, and a member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
What is Chicken Caprese?
The star of a chicken caprese recipe is fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and fresh basil leaves, but let’s not forget about the tender juicy griddle grilled chicken breasts. A chicken caprese and a chicken caprese sandwich are two different menu items.
A chicken caprese is usually served as a main meal dinner item with your desired side. It consists of a piece of chicken breast that is layered with melted mozzarella, slices of red tomatoes and a layer of freshly picked basil leaves.
You can add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction, fresh ground salt and pepper or whatever you want to dress it up. A chicken caprese sandwich is a lunch menu item that is traditionally served with French fries or potato chips.
It is a smaller version of a chicken caprese that is placed between layers of your favorite bread. You can even get an open-faced chicken Caprese sandwich recipe that contains a few simple ingredients such as tomatoes, kosher salt, white pepper, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, bread, mayonnaise, grilled chicken, and fresh basil leaves.
Chef Sherry’s Cookbook
What’s in This Chicken Caprese Sandwich?
I got some freshly baked ciabatta bread because bread can make or break a sandwich. Throughout the winter, we picked medium-sized Campari tomatoes we found at our local grocery store.
These have the most flavor and come in clusters holding onto vines and are a perfect way to recreate a summer sweet garden tomato. Adding healthy salt makes the taste even sweeter.
My caprese chicken sandwich will require one small breast, cut into thin smaller pieces that is best marinated in a simple Italian dressing overnight or for an hour. Slices of fresh mozzarella and hand-picked basil make this a simply made complete chicken sandwich.
How to Slice Chicken into Cutlets
This caprese chicken sandwich is made of a good thin-sliced chicken breast because of its quick cooking time and the ratio of chicken, mozzarella, and tomato. It is easy to find the pre-cut pieces from your local grocery stores or you can cut the pieces yourself.
Place the chicken breast on the cutting board. Then use a sharp filet knife to cut the chicken breast in half, the long way. Lay each piece flat and cut each in half again down the middle, the short way.
Marinate the Chicken Pieces
I like to marinate my chicken pieces the easy way! Place your chicken breast in a Ziplock bag and add about 1/4 cup of bottled Italian dressing.
Close the bag tight and move the chicken pieces around to evenly coat with the Italian dressing. Put the marinating chicken into the refrigerator for 1 to 24 hours until you are ready to cook.
How to Cook Caprese Chicken on a Blackstone Griddle
Try to coat the pieces with as much of the dressing as possible before placing onto the griddle. Discard any unused marinate.
Cook the chicken pieces until browned and heated through making sure to flip the chicken halfway through the cooking process. DO NOT OVER COOK THE CHICKEN!
Times will vary for cooking the chicken but should be 2 to 4 minutes per side. Cook the chicken to 165°F. Use a digital thermometer if desired.
When fully cooked, remove the pieces from the griddle. You could grill this chicken on an outdoor and indoor grill according to your preference if you prefer.
How to Make a Chicken Caprese Sandwich
Gather all your ingredient to make your caprese chicken sandwich. You will be layering your griddle grilled chicken sandwich so make sure to have all your sandwich ingredients ready.
Start with a slice of your desired bread. Top with the Blackstone griddle cooked chicken pieces in a single layer. Place the mozzarella slices on top of the chicken pieces. Add a couple of the sliced tomatoes.
Put the cleaned basil leaves on top of the tomato slices. Spread a generous even layer of pesto aioli to the last slice of bread and flip over to place on top of the basil leaves so the aioli is touching the vegetables and you have a plain piece of bread facing up.
Cut the Blackstone Chicken Caprese Sandwich in half and serve immediately.
How to Make Simple Pesto Aioli
My simple pesto aioli is just that, simple and easy to make. Get my full recipe for Pesto Aioli. Store bought pesto and your favorite mayo combined are all that you need for my pesto aioli.
Sure, you can add lemon juice and any countless number of ingredients. I like to make it simple. Don’t want a pesto aioli on your sandwich? Switch out the homemade pesto aioli for your favorite mayo.
What to Serve with a Caprese Sandwich?
How to Store a Chicken Caprese Sandwich
This grilled chicken sandwich is best stored in pieces and assembled when ready to eat. Store sandwich pieces in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
When ready to eat this chicken caprese, if desired, warm the griddle grilled chicken pieces. They can be left cold if you want.
Assemble the grilled chicken sandwiches as described above. Serve immediately with your favorite side.
Tips and Variations for Making Caprese Chicken Sandwiches
- I love this sandwich partly due to its variety. Changing a few ingredients will give you an entirely new sandwich. Among my favorites are the following:
- Don’t have time to marinate your chicken? Skip the dressing and add simple seasonings such as Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, olive oils or balsamic vinegar to the chicken breast pieces as you are cooking them.
- Sprinkle a little olive oil or a spread of softened butter on top of the bread. Place on the griddle grill and toast until golden brown and crispy. This can be done before or after you assemble the sandwich.
- Roast red pepper to add to your sandwich along with the other vegetables.
- Make a balsamic glaze by simmering a small pan of balsamic vinegar and reducing to a syrup like mixture.
- Don’t want a sandwich? Omit the bread and cut everything into bite sized pieces and make a chicken caprese salad by adding a little more greens.
- After you cook your chicken pieces, cover and rest for 5 to 10 mins before slicing and serving.
- TIP: Never store fresh basil in the fridge as basil works better at room temperature. Cold temperatures can cause the leaf to tan or darken the color. To maximize the life of basil, place the basil in a container with 1-inch fresh water, cover the bag with a plastic holder and store on your table. Simply switch up the water once or twice a day.
More Sandwich Recipes
- Grilled Ham and Cheese
- Grilled Fluffernutter
- Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Sandwich
- Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Scrambled Egg Sandwich
- BLT Sandwich
- Ham and Turkey Sub Sandwich
- Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
- Corned Beef Reuben
- Rachel Sandwich
- Patty Melt Sandwich
- Egg Drop Sandwich
- Club Sandwich
Chicken Caprese – Frequently Asked Question
Panera Bread makes or used to make a “Modern Caprese Sandwich”. You will have to check out the website to see if they have it on their menu.
I like cooking the chicken ahead of time. I cook my extra chicken for leftovers later in the week. The next time you’re serving you can simply make sandwiches and warm the chicken pieces in the oven or griddle top with a dome lid and assemble as normal.
That’s ok! Use a grill pan on the stove to grill the chicken breasts or place in the air fryer basket and cook until moist and juicy.
Blackstone Chicken Caprese Sandwich Recipe
For the full recipe and nutrition facts, click below.
- Chicken Breast 10 ounce
- Italian Dressing 1/4 cup
- Bread, Ciabatta, Slices 2 each
- Mozzarella, Fresh, Sliced 2 ounces
- Tomato, Sliced 1 each
- Basil Leaves, Fresh 10 each
- Pesto Mayo 1 tablespoon
- Cut the chicken breast into 4 thin pieces. Place in a Ziplock bag, add 1/4 cup Italian dressing, seal and shake to combine. Refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
- To cook the chicken breast, preheat the Blackstone Griddle. If using a gas Blackstone griddle, turn your burner on medium heat. With an electric Blackstone griddle (e-series), set the dial to 400°F.
- When the griddle is hot, place the marinated chicken pieces onto the flat top. Do not rinse the marinate off the chicken, but try to coat the pieces with as much of the Italian dressing as possible before placing onto the griddle. Throw away any unused marinate.
- Cook the chicken breast pieces until golden browned and heated through making sure to flip the chicken halfway through the cooking process. DO NOT OVER COOK THE CHICKEN PIECES! Cooking times will vary for the chicken but should be 2 to 4 minutes per side. Cook the chicken pieces to 165°F. Use a digital meat thermometer to check the temperature. When fully cooked, remove the chicken from the griddle.
How to Make a Blackstone Chicken Caprese Sandwich
- Gather all your sandwich ingredient to make your caprese chicken sandwich.
- You will be layering your griddle chicken sandwich so make sure to have all your ingredients ready. Start with a slice of your bread. Top with the griddle cooked chicken pieces in a single layer. Place the fresh mozzarella slices on top of the chicken pieces. Add slices of the fresh tomato. Put the basil leaves on top of the tomato slices. Spread an even layer of pesto aioli to the last slice of bread and flip over to place on top of the fresh basil leaves so the aioli is touching the vegetables and you have a plain piece of bread facing up.
- If desired, cut the Blackstone Chicken Caprese Sandwich in half and serve immediately.
- Toast the outside of the bread, if desired.
- Add sundried tomatoes to the caprese chicken sandwich for an extra layer of flavor.
- Reduce balsamic vinegar down on the stove to a syrup consistancy. Drizzle over the assembled sandwich.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Amount Per Serving Calories 1012Total Fat 44gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 27gCholesterol 282mgSodium 1461mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 3gSugar 14gProtein 106g
Note: For exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information is simply a guideline.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Your comment and 5-star rating take just seconds but helps other readers and helps our site gain more readers! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Stay in touch with me through social media!
Tried this recipe? Snap a picture and tag #frommichigan2019 on Instagram @frommichigan2019.
Like my page on Facebook.
Follow me on Pinterest
Join my Blackstone Griddle Facebook Pages: Blackstone Griddle Lovers & Outdoor Cooking – Recipes & Food Talk for Smokers, Blackstone, Grill & More
If you enjoy this recipe, you may enjoy the following: Blackstone Griddle Recipes