A Grilled Ham and Cheese is the most common comfort food today. Blackstone Griddle grilled ham and cheese sandwiches are a salty, buttery, and incredibly hearty with all the layers of sliced ham and melted cheese.
This combination of foods has long been well known among restaurant customers. Preparing a classic throwback sandwich is super easy with Chef Sherry’s step by step instructions.
Grilled Ham & Cheese sandwiches are popular with my family as well as many other families in the United States. This is one of our summer lunchtime meals as we are in and out of the house with many fun activities.
An iconic sandwich that is quick and easy to make for those busy people that don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen. This classic grilled cheese sandwich is combined layers of deli ham and cheese slices to make one spectacular recipe.
Eating sandwiches of grilled meat or cheese is a great option for an evening dinner as well. A deliciously oozy and salty cheese sandwich with buttery toast makes an easy meal for filling your belly. Perfect!
You can get these tips for yourself to make the best sandwich, and you can devour this delicious meal within minutes!!! A very strong theory suggests that an Irish immigrant in England made the first sandwich of ham and cheese in the 18th century. Sandwiches are the oldest food in the world!
As an Amazon Associate, a Walmart Affiliate, and a member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Best Bread for Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich?
The bread variety have been my favorite part of this sandwich. The bread varies greatly depending on what you like. The result is amazing!
Among my favorites:
Artisan – A nice white bread with mild flavors that has the perfect texture and is super soft.
Bakery White Bread – The traditional homemade-style bread I used to make this Blackstone grilled ham and cheese is a local bakery white bread that has the perfect texture.
Sourdough – Sourdough bread has a more digestible flavor and is generally tangy.
Ciabatta – A firm white bread that pairs well with all your ingredients.
Italian – Another great option that does not disappoint!
What Choices are There for Ham?
Ham is one of those items that you can add to your basic grilled cheese sandwich to take it to the next level. But what ham do you use? There are so many choices!!
I prefer to go to the deli counter (and wait several minutes) to purchase my ham. If you are in a hurry, then skip the deli counter and go straight to the prepackaged deli meat section.
Either way, you have a lot of options though! You have several flavor choices and then you must decide on how thick you want it!
My choice is a boiled ham that is shaved thin. Not falling apart thin, but the notch right before falling apart. But I do not always get that when I order it.
Here are some ham options:
Cooked Ham – my ham of choice. Honey Ham – adds sweetness but doesn’t overpower. Smoked Ham – a wonderful home-style flavor! Black Forest Ham – cut thinly. Off the Bone Smoked Ham – Just like grandma used to make. Brown Sugar Ham – fresh delicious flavor in their natural juices. Leftover Holiday Ham – Boiled ham slices work great also!
Chef Sherry’s Online Cooking Classes
Types of Cheese for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Everyone always asks me what type of cheese that I use for my grilled cheese sandwiches? Use the cheese that you like to eat but make sure that it is a good melting cheese.
Mix and match your favorite cheese options from the list below to create your own flavor combination that is just right for you!!
- Cheddars – white or a traditional yellow
- Swiss Cheese – is rich with tangy flavor
- Provolone – adds creamy texture and taste
- Pepper Jack – is spicy and brings an incredible flavor
- American – white or yellow, a classic that deserves an honorable mention
- Colby Jack – an all-around great choice, we always have Colby jack in our fridge
- Mozzarella – great when combine with other cheeses
- Gouda – creamy smooth with awesome flavor
- Velveeta – my mom always made our grilled cheese with this, and they tasted amazing!!
How to Make a Blackstone Grilled Ham and Cheese
Learning how to make a grilled ham and cheese on the Blackstone Griddle is easy to do! Gather you sandwich ingredients.
Butter (or mayo) one side of both your pieces of bread with a thin even layer. Build your ham and cheese sandwich off the griddle.
Start by laying one of the buttered pieces of bread face down on your clean work surface so the butter side is on the bottom and the un-buttered side is facing up. Add a layer of your choice of cheese on top of the bread.
Next, add a layer of the deli ham that you choose for your sandwich. Top the layer of ham with another layer of cheese. Finally, place the second piece of bread on top of the sandwich stack so that the buttered side of the bread is up.
How to Cook a Blackstone Griddle Ham and Cheese
Once the Blackstone griddle is hot, place the whole stacked sandwich so the bottom buttered layer of bread is on top of the flat top grill. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until the bread is golden brown.
I suggest using a dome lid or your griddle cover to help with the melting process. Just make sure to keep an eye on the ham and cheese sandwich so that it does not burn.
Flip the ham grilled cheese over and continue cooking for another 3 to 5 minutes until the second side is nice and browned. Remove from the griddle when done and serve hot.
Cut into pieces if desired. Pair with your favorite side.
Other Grilled Cheese with Ham Cooking Methods
Oven Baked – place on a baking sheet and bake in a 350°F oven making sure to flip.
Grill Pan – if you want grill lines on your sandwich, use a grill pan.
Skillet or Sauté Pan – this is my go-to way of making grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.
On Your Outdoor Grill – if this is your only cooking option, then go for it!
George Forman Griddle – making a lot of sandwiches at once, then you want to use one of these.
Air Fryer – click the link below for a full air fryer recipe.
Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese
Have you ever wondered how a grilled ham and cheese would taste in an air fryer? Please give it a try, Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese! This simple Air Fry grilled ham and cheese sandwich is an excellent way to enjoy this classic combo of ham and cheese.
Stack ham and cheese and prepare melted sweet cheesy goodness in a matter of minute! This delightful crispy ham and cheese sandwich is so easy to make in an air fryer oven.
How to Spice Up Your Ham and Cheese Sandwich
- A simple substitute for cheese for Gruyere and a sprinkle of French mustard will suffice to transform ordinary into something extraordinary.
- Honey mustard
- I enjoy using fresh foods like tomatoes, green peppers, and avocado as well.
- Adding fillings like black pepper and pickled kale or banana pepper is also a great option!
- Add spinach and arugula to the sandwich after it has been grilled for some extra flavor.
What to Serve with Ham and Cheese Sandwiches?
Tomato Soup!! Although the cheese and the ham are the star attraction in the show you may want something to accompany them.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best cheese to pair with a ham sandwich is a classic American cheese. I also like to use a mild cheddar or Velveeta cheese.
Both will work! I have tried both mayo and butter. They all work to get a crispy crust that you are looking for in a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. But I just use softened butter because that is what I grew up with and like the best.
Some say that mayo spread on the outside of your bread and then grilled is better for grilled cheese sandwiches. I would not disagree. It adds another layer of flavor to your sandwich. So, if you want to use mayo, use mayo!
Yes, they are the same sandwich, just a different name.
Blackstone Ham and Grilled Cheese Recipe
For the full grilled ham and cheese recipe below.
- Bread, Slices 2 each
- Butter, Softened 1 tablespoon
- Cheese, Slices 2 each
- Ham, Deli, Slices 2 each
- Preheat your Blackstone Flat Top Griddle. If using a gas Blackstone griddle, turn your burner on medium heat. With an electric Blackstone griddle (e-series), set the dial to 400°F.
- Butter one side of both your slices of bread with a thin even layer.
- Build your ham and cheese sandwich before you place it on top the flat top. Start by laying one of the buttered slices of bread face down on your work surface so the butter side is on the bottom and the un-buttered side is facing up. Add a layer of cheese on top of the bread. Next, add a layer of the ham to your sandwich. Top the ham with another layer of cheese. Finally, place the second slice of bread on top of the stack so that the buttered side of the bread is up.
- Once the Blackstone griddle is hot, place the assembled sandwich so the bottom buttered layer of bread is on top of the griddle grill.
- Cook the ham and cheese sandwich for about 3 to 5 minutes until the bread is golden brown. Use a dome lid or your griddle cover to help with the melting process. Do not let the sandwich burn!
- Flip the ham grilled cheese sandwich over and continue cooking for another 3 to 5 minutes until the second side golden brown. Remove from the Blackstone griddle when done and serve hot. If desired, cut into pieces. Pair with your favorite soup or side dish.
Choose from an assortment of breads, hams, and cheeses.
Artisan, Bakery White Bread, Sourdough, Ciabatta, Italian, Wheat, and Rye
Cooked Ham, Honey Ham, Smoked Ham, Black Forest Ham, Off the Bone Smoked Ham, Brown Sugar Ham, and Leftover Holiday Ham
Cheddars, Swiss Cheese, Provolone, Pepper Jack, American, Colby Jack, Mozzarella, Gouda, and Velveeta
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Amount Per Serving Calories 530Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 101mgSodium 1235mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 25g
Note: For exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information is simply a guideline.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Your comment and 5-star rating take just seconds but helps other readers and helps our site gain more readers! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Stay in touch with me through social media!
Tried this recipe? Snap a picture and tag #frommichigan2019 on Instagram @frommichigan2019.
Like my page on Facebook.
Follow me on Pinterest
Join my Blackstone Griddle Facebook Pages: Blackstone Griddle Lovers & Outdoor Cooking – Recipes & Food Talk for Smokers, Blackstone, Grill & More
If you enjoy this recipe, you may enjoy the following: Blackstone Griddle Recipes