A Blackstone Pizza Oven makes professional, great tasting pizzas within a few short minutes. Make homemade pizzas in as little as 5 minutes with a perfectly crispy bottom crust and a golden brown cheesy top layer.
This Blackstone Portable Pizza Oven Model 6960 is a must have appliance to add to your Blackstone collection. It was a long time coming but the wait has ended for cooks to create on the Blackstone pizza oven.
Make fresh pizzas, frozen pizzas, pre-baked pizza crusts, pizza pockets, etc.
But this pizza oven is not just for pizzas!! Learn how to make homemade cinnamon rolls, flat bread, dinner rolls, bread sticks, and so much more.
As an Amazon Associate, a Walmart Affiliate, and a member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Blackstone Products has developed a Blackstone Pizza Oven Conversion Kit that transforms your 22-inch Blackstone flat top griddle into an amazing pizza oven. Blackstone Steel Pizza Oven add-on is an essential item for any outdoor kitchen.
In April of 2022, Blackstone Products introduced its 2.0 Blackstone Outdoor Pizza Oven. You can purchase this Blackstone Pizza Oven Attachment here!
The Original Blackstone Patio Pizza Oven
The original Blackstone pizza oven (1575) was created in 2015 and was a huge hit. But many people have wondered, where did the old Blackstone pizza oven go?
With a motorized rotating pizza stone in the bottom along with a stone on the top, this stand along Blackstone appliance was in high demand. Due to limited manufacturing capacity and internal resources, Blackstone Products made the decision to focus on other products.
With over 30 different types of Blackstone Griddles on the market, they decided to focus heavily on innovating and upgrading. But that’s not the end of this stand-alone pizza oven!!
On June 2, 2022, Blackstone Products released a teaser video during an inventor meeting in New York about the new and improved Blackstone Pizza Oven. Featuring the same 2 stone technology and a more durable and efficient design.
The new release date has not been set for the updated version due to global supply chain issues, so stay tuned and make sure to subscribe to blackstoneproducts.com for their newsletter.
Chef Sherry’s Cookbook
Is Blackstone making a new pizza oven?
Yes. but it won’t be like the original Blackstone pizza oven, which was a stand-alone pizza appliance. On April 28, 2022, the Blackstone Portable Pizza Oven conversion kit (Model 6960) was released exclusively at Walmart.
The 2.0 version Blackstone Pizza Oven is an attachment that goes on over top of a Blackstone 22-inch gas burner. Unlike some pizza ovens, this Blackstone pizza oven conversion kit sits on the Black stone 22-inch gas griddle.
The sleek silver exterior will compliment other Blackstone products but can also be used to compliment other stainless steel outdoor appliances and will fit nicely into most decors.
How does a Blackstone Pizza Oven work?
Since this pizza oven product needs to be placed in a griddle grill, it is not a standalone model, and you must have a Blackstone 22-inch griddle grill to heat it. Using the gas-powered griddle base on medium to high heat will heat the inside of the Blackstone pizza oven very quickly.
Blackstone Steel Outdoor Pizza Oven Add On heats up with in 10 to 15 minutes to the recommended 550° Fahrenheit. The heat generated inside the Black Stone Pizza Oven warms up the two stones which helps to cook the pizza to perfection.
Once the oven is at least 500° F, place the prepared pizza onto the very hot round stone with a pizza peel. Let the pizza cook for a couple minutes, then using a pizza peel, rotate the pizza. Continue doing this until the pizza has reached its desired doneness.
Its speed in making your pizzas is amazing. Produce pizzas in 5 to 10 minutes. This oven makes an excellent crunchy crust up to 15 inches in diameter.
Convert Blackstone 22″ Griddle into a Pizza Oven
Not all Blackstone 22-inch griddles will work for the pizza oven attachment. Here is a list of the 22” griddles that will not work.
Models: 8001, 8003, 1935, 2015, and 1860
Assembled Pizza Oven Dimensions
The assembled pizza oven is 30.75 inches long by 26.30 inches wide by 16 inches high. It also comes with a limited one-year warranty.
Join My Blackstone Griddle Lovers Facebook Group!
Pizza Oven Features
- Patented 2 Stone Technology to create a crispy top and bottom pizza
- Temperature Gauge Built into the Front of the Pizza Oven
- Heat Retaining Front Door with Durable Orange Handle
- Rugged Durable Orange Side Handles
- Compact Size means that you can take this pizza oven anywhere
How much time does it take to convert your Blackstone griddle into a pizza oven?
You can convert your Blackstone griddle into a pizza oven in about 30 minutes. Once you install the heat shield on the bottom then it takes minutes to switch from griddle to pizza oven. This is a game-changer!
Unboxing Blackstone Portable Pizza Oven Conversion Kit
Forewarning you, this box is heavy. 70 pounds heavy!!! After ordering my pizza oven though walmart.com, two days later, it was delivered by my local UPS guy.
He was very kind and placed the heavy box on a countertop in my garage. With no help around at the time and I was super eager to use my new pizza oven, I had to figure out a way to get my heavy box to the back porch.
Searching through my husbands garage, I found a dolly. With the dolly, I managed to get the box up several steps and onto the porch.
Check out this video of me unboxing the pizza oven and setting it up.
Assembling the Blackstone Pizza Oven Attachment
Assembly is fairly quick. Since its design is to be placed above the existing 22″ burner, the burners and internal components are not required to do anything special.
Start by taking off the flat top griddle plate, griddle lid, and grease trap. Unbox the Blackstone pizza oven attachment and separate out the cardboard and plastic packaging.
Attach the side handles, and the top vent. Once the side handles and the top vent has been assembled onto the pizza oven, it’s time to add the pizza stones.
Carefully, place the square stone into the upper oven brackets by tipping the back of the stone up and the front of the stone down until it fits into place. Insert the round stone into the oven chamber floor making sure the smooth side of the stone is up and the textured side of the stone is down.
Next, assemble the oven door. With the door lip sticking out in front of you, remove the screw and insert the handle into the fitted hole. On the back side of the oven door, insert the screw into the hole and tighten.
Tabletop 22-inch Blackstone Griddle Assembly
Remove the flat top griddle and cover from the burner bottom. Carefully, flip the griddle over or on its back.
You’re going to remove the four flange nuts from the four oven feet on the bottom of the griddle and place the heat shield metal plate from the pizza oven box on to the bottom.
Use the four flange nuts to attach the metal heat shield plate and the four oven feet to the bottom of the Blackstone griddle body. I love how the legs have a thread that lets you easily level up griddles by micro-adjusting the leveling knob.
22-inch Blackstone Griddle with Cart Attachment
If you have the Blackstone 22-inch Griddle with a cart attachment, then you will not be adding the heat shield to the bottom of the griddle. Which also means that you will not need the four oven feet either.
You will be skipping this step. But you will want to remove the flat top griddle and cover from the burner base.
Attach the Black Stone Pizza Oven
Because the Blackstone Pizza Oven Conversion Kit is so heavy (about 50 pounds), it is suggested that two people participate in the next step. Make sure that the pizza stones do not fall out as you are placing the pizza oven onto the griddle base.
Line the opening of the pizza oven parallel to the knobs of the Blackstone griddle. Carefully, set the pizza oven attachment onto the griddle burner base being careful not to damage the burners.
Next, set the oven door into place by tilting the door brake behind the temperature gauge panel and sliding the bottom until its closed properly. Test to make sure the burners are working properly.
Heat the Blackstone pizza oven until the desired temperature is reached and enjoy cooking on your outdoor Blackstone appliance.
Purchase the Griddle and Pizza Oven as a Bundle
If you want to make sure that you have the right griddle to go with the pizza oven conversion kit, then you can buy them as a bundle set from blackstoneproducts.com.
The kit includes a carrying case for the griddle base only, the Blackstone pizza rocker, ladle, and cleaning brush for the pizza stone.
Accessories for Blackstone Pizza Oven
Here is a list of my favorite accessories when using the pizza oven. For a complete list, check out my post – Blackstone Pizza Oven Accessories.
- Pizza Peel
- Ladle for spreading the pizza sauce
- Pizza Rocker or Pizza Cutter
- Brush for cleaning the pizza stone
- Round Pizza Pans (do not cut pizzas on the pans)
- Cutting Board
- Detroit-Style Pizza Pan
- Good Oven Mitts (if you need to remove the stone to clean it before the stone cools down)
A pizza oven you can take anywhere!
Designed to be attached and detachable as part of a Blackstone griddle. It simplifies transport and provides convenience.
If you want to try something like a burger or hot dog and not a pizza, then use the flat top griddle attachment on top of the burner base. When it’s time to make a pizza, simply remove the griddle flat top piece, and slide in the pizza oven attachment onto the burner base.
The Blackstone pizza oven attachment weighs about 50 pounds, and therefore transportation can easily be done. Use the durable side handles to move the oven attachment around.
How much time does it take to cook a pizza?
If the griddle is at the right temperature (500°F to 600°F) the average time is about 6 minutes. Small pizzas (personal sized) will cook in as little as 4 minutes.
What is the Patented 2-Stone Technology that Blackstone keeps on talking about?
There are two pizza stones in the oven. The first is on the bottom of the pizza oven where the pizza rests as it’s being cooked and is round in shape with texture on the bottom to hold the plate in place and a smooth surface on the top.
The second stone is square in shape that is smooth on both sides and fits on the top brackets of the pizza oven right above the bottom round stone.
This patented two stone technology gives you a better overall cooking experience by creating a crispy bottom crust and a golden-brown cheese topping.
How many pizzas can be cooked with a 1 lb. propane bottle?
You can cook 8-10 pizzas when you use a full 1 pound propane bottle. I recommend using the Blackstone Conversion Kit to be able to use a 20 pound propane tank.
You will be able to cook many pizza and not have to worry about running out of gas. Even have a pizza party!!
Can you bake multiple pizzas in Blackstone Steel Outdoor Pizza Oven Add On?
It is not advised to cook more than one pizza at a time on the pizza stone. Sadly, you must cook each pizza separately.
Nevertheless, fast cooking times allow for easy hosting of a make-your-own pizza party, and no person has to wait hours or days to prepare their own special pie.
The internal parts are temperature sensitive, and the oven will be perfect for baking a fast pizza in a hurry. It is also possible to lower the temperature when cooking other recipes such as cinnamon rolls.
This Outdoor Pizza Oven gets hot!
The Blackstone Steel outdoor pizza oven has excellent cooking abilities. This small pizza oven can be heated up as fast as most larger ovens.
The inside of the pizza oven can reach 750° Fahrenheit! But, from the front of the oven, it feels like it’s not very hot which is a good thing for your hands when you are putting the pizza in and out of the oven.
The First Pizza on the Blackstone Pizza Oven
After purchasing my pizza oven, I could not wait to start making pizzas in it!! The griddle oven needs adequate time to heat up.
Plan on letting it come to temperature for 10 to 15 minutes. Set the burner knobs to medium to medium high.
The temperature gauge on the outside of the pizza oven should be 500°F to 600°F before you start cooking your pizza. I made the mistake of rushing and sliding my homemade pizza onto the stone before it was hot enough.
The fresh pizza dough ended up sticking on the stone and caused issues when trying to turn it.
My #1 tip!! Invest in a good pizza peel!! What is a pizza peel? It’s the piece of equipment that you use to slide the pizza into and out of the hot oven without burning yourself.
The pizza peel comes in many form such as wooden, metal, long handle, and short handle. Having already purchased a long handle wooden pizza peel, I struggled at first with it because the top edge is a little thick and not as sharp as a metal one.
But after a little practice and letting the pizza get a good crust on the bottom before trying to rotate it, made a world of difference. Find what works for you and make it work.
If you plan on making several pizzas one after the other, invest in a couple pizza peels. I like to make my pizza on top of the pizza peel making sure that you use corn meal on the bottom of the pizza crust and a sprinkle of corn meal on the pizza peel itself.
Make sure to watch the pizza closely and rotate it every couple of minutes. The pizza oven is hotter on the back side than the front.
You want to cook the pizza until the center is hot. Outdoor cooking of the perfect pizza will give you authentic taste that is so delicious!!
Oven Pizza Making and Cooking Tips
- Preheat the pizza oven for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Use a good pizza peel to place into and remove from the pizza oven.
- Flour can be used to prevent the homemade dough from sticking to your hands but use corn meal under the pizza dough to prevent sticking. I do not recommend using flour under your homemade pizza dough because it will burn in the cooking process and leave a funky flavor on your finished pizza.
- Use Corn Meal under the homemade pizza dough to prevent sticking.
- Pizza Dough – Use your favorite recipe or buy store bought pizza crusts that are already baked. All pizza crusts will work in this pizza oven!!
- Make this easy pizza sauce recipe as a base for an awesome pizza.
- No need to precook the homemade pizza dough before you build your pizza.
- Once you place the pizza onto the hot stone, let it cook and get a good crust before trying to rotate it.
Recipes for the Blackstone Pizza Oven
- Blackstone Pizza Dough Recipe
- Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Breakfast Pizza
- Blackstone Pepperoni Pizza
- Alfredo and Chicken Pizza
How to Clean Pizza Oven – Blackstone
Do not use soap on the pizza stones because it will leave a soap like taste on your food. Use soapy water to wipe down the outside of the pizza oven and any trays that you might have.
Once the pizza oven is completely cooled down, remove the round stone and brush off any debris with a grill brush. If needed, wash the pizza stone with warm water and let dry.
If debris falls down inside the pizza oven, clean out periodically. Inside of oven can be wiped down when needed when completely cooled down.
Blackstone Pizza Oven – FAQ
You can bake bread, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, potatoes, bread sticks, garlic bread, stuffed pork or baked fish with your favorite spices and herbs. You have the option to cook vegetables roasted in a pan, making desserts such as apples crisp or fruit cobbler. Do not limit yourself with just pizza and let your creativity shine!!
Every griddle will be different but if the burners are turned on high the pizza oven will heat up to around 900°F. The ideal temperature for cooking pizzas is 500°F to 600°F.
This is what people are saying about the Blackstone Pizza Oven:
Easy Bake Oven
Nice addition to the 22” griddle. On low this oven gets up to 350, found the perfect temp for making pizza to be 550. Just had a pizza party last night with friends and everyone made their own pizza with their choice of toppings, everyone had fun and loved it. It was nice to be able to cook in the oven outside, with the ac was on in the house, keeping the heat outside. The unit itself is heavy but is well made. I bought it through Walmart.com and was delivered free in 3 days.
The outdoor pizza oven
I like that is large and heavy, it won’t tip over. With the cover it’s great to cook other foods then pizza. I also like that it’s portable. I love everything about it.
One of the best purchases
- Blackstone Pizza Oven Conversion Kit
- Blackstone 22-inch Gas Griddle Base
- Phillips Head Screwdriver - Small and Medium
- Adjustable Wrench
- Scissors or Knife - to cut open packaging
- Start by taking off the flat top griddle plate, griddle lid, and grease trap from the 22-inch burner base. Flip the griddle over or on its back. Remove the four flange nuts from the bottom of the griddle and
place the heat shield metal plate from the pizza oven box on to the bottom. Use the four flange nuts to attach the heat shield plate and the
four oven feet to the bottom of the Blackstone griddle body. The legs have a thread that lets you easily level up the griddle by micro-adjusting
the leveling knob.
- If you are using the Blackstone 22-inch Griddle with a cart attachment, then you will not be adding the heat shield to the bottom of the griddle. This also means that you will not need the four oven feet either. You will be skipping this step of adding the heat shield. You will want to remove the flat top griddle, cover from the burner base, and the drip pan.
- Unbox the Blackstone pizza oven conversion kit attachment and separate out the cardboard and plastic packaging.
- Attach the side handles, and the top vent by unscrewing the already placed screws, placing the pieces and re-screwing into place.
- Slide the square stone into the upper oven brackets by tipping the back of the stone up and the front of the stone down until it fits into place. Insert the round stone into the oven chamber floor making sure the smooth side of the stone is facing up and the textured side of the stone is facing down.
- Assemble the oven door. With the door lip sticking out in front of you and a flat back, remove the screw and insert the handle into the fitted hole. Next, on the back side of the oven door, insert the screw into the hole and tighten.
- Because the Blackstone Portable Pizza Oven is so heavy, it is suggested that two people participate in the next step. Remove the oven door if attached and make sure that the pizza stones do not fall out as you are placing the pizza oven onto the griddle base.
- Line the opening of the pizza oven parallel to the heat knobs of the Blackstone griddle. Being very care, set the pizza oven attachment onto the griddle burner base making sure not to damage the burners.
- Set the oven door into place by tilting the top door slot behind the temperature gauge panel and sliding the bottom until its closed properly. Test to make sure the base griddle burners are working properly. Heat the Blackstone pizza oven unit until the desired temperature is reached and enjoy cooking on your new outdoor Blackstone appliance.
- Boxed Blackstone Pizza Oven Kit weighs 70 pounds. Fully assembled pizza unit attachment weighs about 50 pounds.
- Not all Blackstone 22-inch gas griddles will work for the pizza oven attachment. Here is a list of the 22” griddles that will NOT work. Models: 8001, 8003, 1935, 2015, and 1860
- Make frozen pizza, fresh pizza, and use pre-baked pizza crusts to make a pizza.
- This pizza oven is portable and can be transported to other locations.
- You can bake cinnamon rolls, bread, dinner rolls, potatoes, bread sticks, garlic bread, stuffed pork or baked fish with your favorite spices and herbs. You can also cook vegetables roasted in a pan, make desserts such as apples crisp or fruit cobbler. Don't limit yourself with just pizza and let your creativity shine!!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Your comment and 5-star rating take just seconds but helps other readers and helps our site gain more readers! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Stay in touch with me through social media!
Tried this recipe? Snap a picture and tag #frommichigan2019 on Instagram @frommichigan2019.
Join my Blackstone Griddle Facebook Pages:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel – Sherry Ronning – to get notification of my latest videos.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may enjoy the following: 140+ Blackstone Griddle Recipes