This Best Pizza Sauce recipe is easily made, luxuriously thick and full of flavor. If you love pizza, you’re going to love this super easy to make tomato pizza topping.
My family loves pizza so much we have it several times a month. And no matter which toppings we like to add, these pizzas always contain the most delicious homemade pizza sauce!
A pizzeria sauce that also makes a great dip for bread sticks too! In supermarkets there are many different brands of pizza sauces which claim to be the greatest.
But it’s just as easy to buy pizza ingredients apart from sauces. If you are like me, you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry.
Having the wrong sauce can ruin a whole pie. A good topping recipe that is quick and easy to prepare!
Learn how to make homemade sauce using canned tomato sauce and tomato paste along with pantry spices. Making flatbread sauce from tomato paste gives you a thick recipe.
This recipe provides a thick sauce to store in the refrigerator to be served on several pizzas when ready to make. A simple, but flavorful sauce that is made from scratch. No need for cooking!!
As an Amazon Associate, a Walmart Affiliate, and a member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
What is Pizza Sauce?
A classic pizza topping is traditionally the layer of seasoned thick tomato puree that is spread on top of the pizza dough and is under the cheese and toppings.
It’s the best condiment for a great family homemade pizza night!! Absolutely delicious with well-balanced flavor makes this the perfect sauce.
Best Pizza Sauce Ingredients
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Italian Seasoning – dried herbs
- Fine Sea Salt
- Black Pepper – just a pinch
- Fresh Garlic – Minced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Chef Sherry’s Cookbook
How to Make Pizza Sauce with Tomato Paste
Gather all the ingredients to make the best sauce. Learning how to make the best sauce with tomato paste gives you a thick recipe.
In a medium sized bowl, combine the tomato sauce and tomato paste until the sauce is smooth and there are no lumps. Next, add all the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Use right away or store in an airtight container (a glass jar is best). Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
It can be made in just 5 minutes and there is no need to cook the sauce. If desired, freeze in an appropriate airtight container for up to two months making sure to label properly with what it is and when it was made.
Top with you favorite toppings and slide into a hot pizza oven. You will get a crispy crust along with a perfectly cooked top layer.
Dipping Sauce Option
You might want to make extra pizza topping!! A delicious sauce with zesty flavor.
Not just for spreading on pizza crusts!! This homemade topping recipe is also a great dip sauce too! Serve warm for meatballs, bread sticks, quesadilla, etc.
Join My Blackstone Griddle Lovers Facebook Group!
- Omit the sugar or use a sugar-free version.
- For a fresh tomato flavor use fresh tomatoes to make a sauce by blending to a smooth consistency. Make sure to use whole peeled tomatoes.
- Substitute pureed diced or stewed canned tomatoes for the tomato sauce.
- Don’t skip the tomato paste because this is what gives your homemade sauce recipe it’s thick texture.
- Fresh herbs such as fresh basil can be switched for the dried Italian seasonings.
- Add extra seasonings if desired such as garlic salt, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, onion powder, or minced onion.
Best Sauce – FAQ
A homemade pizza sauce recipe should have a thick tomato texture if made right. Whereas a spaghetti sauce (pasta sauce) is not as concentrated in tomato flavor but tastes amazing over cooked pasta.
If you decide not to make your own pizza sauce, the grocery store has many options for you to purchase store bought pizza sauce. A couple good choices for store bought sauce are Contadina Pizza Sauce and Classico Signature Recipes Traditional Pizza Sauce. And don’t forget the store-bought pizza crust!!
Best Pizza Sauce Recipe
For the full recipe and nutrition information, click below for the recipe card.
- Tomato Sauce, Canned 15 ounces
- Tomato Paste, Canned 6 ounces
- Italian Seasoning, Dried 1 tablespoon
- Olive Oil 1 teaspoon
- Garlic, Minced 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar, Granulated 2 teaspoon
- Salt 1/4 teaspoon
- Pepper, Ground 1/4 teaspoon
- Gather all the ingredients to make the pizza sauce.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomato sauce and tomato paste until the sauce is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Use the pizza sauce right away or store in an airtight container (a glass jar is best). Store sauce in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. If desired, freeze in an appropriate airtight container for up to two months making sure to label properly with what it is and when it was made.
- Omit the sugar or use a sugar-free version sugar.
- For a fresh tomato flavor use fresh tomatoes to make a pizza sauce by blending to a smooth consistency. Make sure to use whole peeled tomatoes.
- Substitute pureed stewed or diced canned tomatoes for the tomato sauce.
- Don’t leave out the tomato paste because this is what gives your homemade pizza sauce recipe it’s thick texture.
- Fresh herbs can be switched for the dried Italian seasonings.
- Add extra seasonings such as garlic salt, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, onion powder, or minced onion.
Amount Per Serving Calories 14Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 117mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 1g
Note: For exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information is simply a guideline.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Your comment and 5-star rating take just seconds but helps other readers and helps our site gain more readers! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Stay in touch with me through social media!
Tried this recipe? Snap a picture and tag #frommichigan2019 on Instagram @frommichigan2019.
Join my Blackstone Griddle Facebook Pages:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel – Sherry Ronning – to get notification of my latest videos.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may enjoy the following: 140+ Blackstone Griddle Recipes