These Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Chicken Wings are juicy and deliciously tasty. It’s covered with a crispy coating and served with Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce. I figured you would all enjoy this perfect chicken wings recipe for any gathering.
This best barbecue chicken wings recipe is my favorite finger foods. They’re messy, exciting, and ideal for outdoor griddle cooking.
When we look for appetizers – especially for Super Bowl, game day or parties – WINGS is an idea that immediately comes up. Fried BBQ chicken wings are very mouthwatering, delicious and they are easy to cook.
I like their perfect size as well as the sweet, lick-your-fingers honey BBQ sauce! Enjoy these mild wings with a sweet baby ray’s barbecue sauce. Seasoned wings cooked to perfection before smothered in a simple honey-grilled sauce.
Can’t get enough of this delicious recipe? Neither can my family!! This crispy fried chicken wings are very easy to prepare with great flavor. What an amazing and simple dinner.
As an Amazon Associate, a Walmart Affiliate, and a member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Use Bone-In Wings
I am not a fan of frozen chicken wings, so I suggest using only fresh wings. This recipe calls for bone in chicken wings.
These bone in wings have a thin layer of powdered Drakes Mix that creates a crispy outer shell but juicy on the inside when deep fried in hot deep fry oil. You will want to cut a whole wing into pieces for quick cook time and easy eating.
These fried chicken wings are an excellent finger food that most think is very complicated to make but you’ll be amazed at how simple it is to prepare! This BBQ chicken wing recipe is delicious and it’s incredibly easy to make.
What is Drake’s Crispy Frymix?
Drake’s Crispy Frymix is a Michigan based company that has been making their famous batter since the 1930s. It is designed to cook up crisp, light, and perfect every time and is made with the best ingredient.
Click here to learn more about Drake’s Crispy Frymix.
Use Deep Fryer to Make Chicken Wings
Deep frying in our house is something that I never do. I use a couple tabletop deep fryers that are set up on a countertop in our garage.
I have two different fryers that each have their own frying oil. This is important when frying several different items at once.
I use peanut oil for my fryers, and I buy in 35-pound jugs from Sam’s Club to help save money.
How to Make Fried BBQ Chicken Wings
Gather your ingredients to make your barbeque chicken wings. Heat the deep-frying oil in your fryer or a large pot on the stovetop to 375°F.
I use peanut oil for deep frying, but you can use vegetable oil, or your favorite deep-frying oil. This chicken wings recipe calls for fresh chicken wings, not frozen.
Start with 3 pounds of whole chicken wings. With a sharp knife, separate the drum and wings flat as well as the wing tip. One whole chicken wing piece will be cut into 3 pieces. The tip pieces will not be used.
Quickly rinse every wing with cold water and set in its individual space. Do not dry the wings but you don’t want them swimming in water. Just rinse and lean up against the side of a container or baking sheet.
This is an important step that I tend to forget. Season the wing pieces with seasoned salt and black pepper. Next, measure Drake’s Frymix into a plastic storage bag.
How to Deep Fry Barbeque Wings
You will want to work in batches. Depending on the amount of deep-frying oil you have, place about 10 pieces of chicken wings into the fry mix powder bag and shake to coat chicken drumsticks (drums) and flats with a thin layer.
Tap the wing pieces to remove any excess fry mix, then carefully drop the wings into the hot deep fry oil. Cook your chicken wing pieces for anywhere from 6-10 minutes, depending on the size of the wings and how cold they were when you put them into the oil.
Make sure to maintain a 375°F oil temperature consistency throughout the cooking process. Do you know how to tell when chicken wing pieces are cooked?
Fried chicken wings will be golden brown on the outside, and they will start to float on top of the hot oil when they’re fully cooked. You can also use a digital thermometer to check the temperature of the cooked wings – they should be 165°F in the thickest part next to the bone.
Remove chicken wings from the hot deep fry oil with a metal slotted spoon. Place them on a paper towel-lined tray to help soak up the excess oil. Continue the cooking process with the rest of the chicken wings until they’re all done.
Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce?
I like a thinner coating on my chicken wings, so I place the Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce into the mixing bowl and then I add a splash of hot water. Mix barbecue sauce to combine and adjust any of the ingredients to achieve your desired thickness.
Add the freshly deep-fried chicken wing pieces in the bowl and toss to coat. It’s that easy and it tastes incredible!
No cooking, no testing, and no fussing with making your own BBQ sauce. Sweet Baby Ray’s has you covered! This is one reason that these have become one of my family’s favorite wings.
This sauce is literally defined as “finger licking good”. It really makes me clean up the sauce every time. This is one of my favorite wings sauces!
BBQ is an important flavoring element. I have tried many BBQ sauces, but I love this one the best. I’m NOT sponsored by Sweet Baby Ray and the opinions are my own!
Though we like mild wings, it’s an excellent barbecue option because it’s sweet and tangy sauce gives wings so much flavor.
How To Make Barbecue Wings on a Blackstone Griddle
If you are lucky enough to have a deep fryer attached to your griddle, then preheat to 375°F. I am not one of those lucky ones, so I deep fry on the flat top griddle.
Heat your Blackstone flat top griddle on medium high heat. Put a disposable aluminum foil pan or a restaurant quality pan on the griddle. Fill the pan with your desired deep-fry oil (peanut Oil) and heat to 375°F.
Make sure to use a digital thermometer to keep track of the temperature. To help heat the oil faster, cover the pan with a dome lid.
Cut the chicken wings into a drum, flat and tip pieces. Dispose of the tips. Season the chicken wings with seasoned salt and pepper, then put in a plastic storage bag with Drake’s Crispy Frymix.
Working in batches, shake the bag to coat the wings in a thin layer of fry mix. Remove the chicken wing pieces from the bag and tap each piece to remove excess fry mix.
Blackstone Griddle Deep Frying
Throw away any unused fry mix. Carefully drop the wings into the hot frying oil. Adjust the flat top griddle temperature to make sure the oil stays at 375°F.
Cook your Blackstone chicken wings for anywhere from 6 to10 minutes, depending on the size of the wings pieces and how cold they were when you put them into the hot oil. Deep frying time will vary making sure you are stirring occasionally to toss around.
Bone in wings will have a deep golden-brown color crispy skin on the outside and juicy on the inside. The pieces will float when they’re done.
Make sure to use a digital meat thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken wing pieces – they should be at least 165°F in the thickest part next to the bone.
When the wing pieces are done, remove from the deep-frying oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat until all the chicken wings pieces are done.
How to Make Blackstone BBQ Chicken Wings
I like to use Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ sauce. It has awesome flavor and is super easy to use.
In a medium sized bowl, pour some of the BBQ sauce along with a splash of hot water. Stir to combine and add the deep-fried chicken wing pieces.
Use a pair of tongs or gently toss in the bowl to completely coat the breaded deep-fried chicken wing pieces. Serve right away with your favorite dipping sauce or additional barbecue sauce.
Tips To Make Barbeque Chicken Wings
- Sweet chicken wings are best served hot and fresh and with your favorite dipping sauce.
- If making a large batch for a crowd, store fully cooked wings on a baking pan lined with paper towel and place in an oven on a baking rack on low heat to keep warm. When ready to serve toss in desired barbecue sauce.
- Your deep fry oil should stay at a consistent 375°F temperature. If you’re making wings on the stovetop or outdoor Blackstone flat top griddle, you may have to adjust the temperature of the burners to keep the frying oil hot and consistent.
- Make sure your deep-frying oil comes back up to the 375°F temperature before adding new chicken wing pieces.
- To keep your frying oil cleaner longer, tap/shake off any excess Drakes fry mix from the chicken wings before frying them.
- For extra crispy wings, double fry (deep fry for several minutes, remove from the hot oil, wait a few minutes, then re-fry again to achieve an extra crispy layer).
How to Store Mild Wings
Deep fried chicken wings are best served hot and crispy. So, when the chicken wings get coated with Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce recipe they will soften and eventually become soggy.
I recommend coating the wings with the BBQ sauce only if you are going to eat them right away. If there are some leftover deep fried chicken wings, store the cooled chicken wing pieces in an airtight container for up to 6 days.
To reheat, place leftover wings in an Air Fryer to crisp the outside back up or you can microwave but you will not have a crispy wing. I prefer the air fryer.
After they are reheated, coat the mild wings with Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce and then serve right away.
Chicken Wings Dipping Sauce/Side Options
Here is a list of a few things that are good with BBQ Chicken Wings?
Blue cheese dressing
A Lot of Napkins
What to Serve with BBQ Traditional Wings?
We like serving wings at parties on charcuterie boards. I hope these wings become a favorite for your parties and dinners.
Strips of celery sticks are the typical side that go with BBQ wings to help combat any of the spicy flavor that might appear, but you can make them a part of a heartier meal or just eat them solo. Wings with Sweet Baby Rays sauce can go with anything!
Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Chicken Wings – FAQ
Both chicken wings are deep fried to achieve a crispy outer shell and a juicy center. This is considered regular traditional wings. A BBQ wing is a regular traditional wing that is tossed in a light coating of Sweet Baby Rays sauce to give the chicken wing a different flavor.
There are several deep-fried chicken wing flavor options depending on your desired spice level. Start with a traditional deep fried chicken wing and leave plain if no desired sauce is wanted. The next level is a sweet BBQ sauce that covers a regular traditional deep-fried wing. A step above this a regular traditional deep-fried wing that is coated with a buffalo sauce and finally the regular wing covered with a hot sauce that can come in several different hot spicy levels.
Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe
For the recipe and nutrition facts, click below.
These Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Chicken Wings are juicy and deliciously tasty. It's covered with a crispy coating and served with Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce. I figured you would all enjoy this perfect chicken wings recipe for any gathering. This best barbecue chicken wings recipe is my favorite finger foods.
- Chicken Wings 3 Pounds
- Drakes Frymix 3/4 cup
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper 1/4 teaspoon
- Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce 1/2 cup
- Oil for frying
- Preheat your Blackstone Flat Top Griddle and place a disposable deep aluminum foil pan or restaurant metal pan on the griddle. Fill the pan with about 2-inches of frying oil (peanut oil). Heat oil to 375°F. making sure to use a digital thermometer to keep the right temperature. Cover with a lid to heat the deep frying oil up to the proper temperature.
- Cut the chicken wings into pieces (drum, flat, and tips) and discard the tips pieces. Sprinkle the seasoning onto the chicken pieces (salt and pepper). Measure the Drake’s Crispy Frymix into a disposable plastic bag.
- Working in batches, add about 1/3rd of the chicken wing pieces to the disposable bag with Drake's Frymix. Making sure there is a little air in the bag, twist shut, and shake to completely coat the wing pieces in a thin layer of mix. Remove from the plastic bag and tap the chicken pieces to remove any excess mix. When the deep frying oil is hot, drop the Drake's coated pieces into the oil one at a time.
- Fry your chicken wing pieces anywhere from 6 to 10 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken wings and how cold they were when you put them into the oil. Fully cook the bone in wings until they are golden-brown and crispy on the outside. They’ll start to float in the hot oil when they’re fully cooked. You can also use a digital meat thermometer to check the temperature of the deep fried chicken wings. They should be 165° F in the thickest part next to the bone.
- Remove the deep fried chicken wings from the hot oil with a metal slotted spoon and drain them on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat the above steps until all the fried wings are fully cooked.
- Use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce to coat the chicken wings. This sauce tastes great and is super easy to use. In a medium bowl, combine the BBQ sauce and a splash of hot water. Add the deep fried wings to the bowl and toss to completely coat. Place on a serving plate and serve with your favorite dipping sauce such as ranch or blue cheese dressings.
- Drake’s Crispy Frymix is a Michigan company that’s been making their famous powdered batter mix since the 1930s. It’s made with wholesome ingredients and is designed to fry up light, crispy, and perfect every time. Click to buy Drake’s Crispy Frymix.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Blackstone 36" Cooking Station 4 Burner Propane Fuelled Restaurant Grade Professional 36 Inch Outdoor Flat Top Gas Griddle with Built in Cutting Board, Garbage Holder and Side Shelf (1825), Black
National Presto 05461 Stainless Steel Pro Fry Immersion Element Deep Fryer,Silver
Drake's Crispy Frymix 10oz Box, Pack of 3
Amount Per Serving Calories 804Total Fat 58gSaturated Fat 20gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 33gCholesterol 186mgSodium 1309mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 39g
Note: For exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information is simply a guideline.
Stay in touch with me through social media!
Join my Blackstone Griddle Facebook Pages: Blackstone Griddle Lovers & Outdoor Cooking – Recipes & Food Talk for Smokers, Blackstone, Grill & More
If you enjoy this recipe, you may enjoy the following: Blackstone Griddle Recipes