Do you like great tasting fish recipes? This Baked Trout is so easy to prepare and has amazing flavor. Brown trout is an interesting fish, which has a great yet mild flavor that doesn’t require a lot of boosting so that the fish can be easily prepared.
To get a great flavor out of the trout use essentially basic ingredients like olive oil or butter and seasonings. A healthy meal and low-carb as well as a gluten-free recipe with healthy omega3 fats. Simple and quick to make – merely 30 minutes from beginning to end!
This recipe uses a baked trout filet that makes two generous servings or four servings with side dishes. Oven baked trout is a great way of eating fish.
This is moisture-filled, flaky and rich in taste. Trout is one of my favorite baked fishes. This recipe is aimed at teaching the basics of preparing perfect foil-wrapped trout.
A trout recipe that is very simple with four ingredients and ready in 30 minutes. A perfect weeknight meal.
Are there any other fish recipes that I should try? My baked walleye recipe is a very big hit!!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Can I Use Other Types of Trout?
Yes, you can use rainbow trout, steelhead trout, brook trout, or lake trout. All are similar in flavor and bake up well. If desired, you can cook a whole trout and not just the fish filets.
How to Cook Trout in Oven
Gather the ingredients to make your baked trout recipe. Pre-heat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Using a regular baking sheet, cut a piece of foil that is double the size of the sheet pan.
Cover the sheet pan with half of the foil so that the shiny side is down, and the dull side of the heavy-duty aluminum foil is up. The idea of this is to be able to fold the other half of the foil over the prepared trout and seal to cook.
Spread pieces of the butter/margarine on the sheet pan foil. You can use melted butter, if desired. Sprinkle some of the seasoned salt and pepper on top of the butter.
Lay the trout fillets in a single layer on top of the seasoned butter, making sure that you are doing this on the sheet pan. Lightly season the top of the fish fillets.
Cut the onion into pieces and place onto the top of the trout fillets. Fold the foil over so that you are completely covering the trout fish.
Roll the ends of the foil together starting with the opposite side of the folded foil. Then roll both the end sides to completely seal the brown trout into the foil pouch.
With a sharp knife, poke a few holes into the top of the foil pouch making sure to not puncture the bottom of the foil.
How Long to Bake Trout in the Oven?
Place the baking sheet pan into the pre-heated oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Check the foil baked trout fish after about 20 minutes to see if the fish is done.
To do this, use a fork or knife to try and flake the thickest part of the filet. You want the fish to flake easily with a fork and not be translucent in color.
If you see any translucent color or if the fish doesn’t want to flake apart easily, then put back into the oven and cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Chopped Bacon – Sprinkled on top
- Fresh Lemon Slices (thinly sliced lemon), or Lemon Zest
- Fresh Herbs – Chop and sprinkle on top (Fresh Parsley, Fresh Dill)
- Spread Pesto on top of the filets
- Minced Garlic – Make sure to use fresh garlic
- Lemon or Lime Juice
- dried herbs such as dried oregano
How to Store Oven Baked Trout
If you have leftover trout filets, you can save them for later. Place the trout in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 6 days. To reheat, warm up in the microwave.
What do I Serve with Trout?
There are so many side dishes that you can have with your baked trout filet. Try some marinated tomato cucumber salad, fried rice, mushroom risotto, cheese and bacon hasselback potatoes, pan fried morel mushrooms, and glazed carrots.
Other Fish Recipes
Here are a few of my other favorite fishes that you might want to try.
Baked Trout – FAQ
The optimal temperature is 350°F. Always test for doneness by using a fork to spread the filet layers apart. Remember that time suggestions are only a guideline.
You can leave the skin on if you like, just make sure to remove the fish scales. But for this recipe I am taking the skin off.
Yes, cover the fish when baking because this will help keep the moisture in to help with the cooking process. Cooking time is reduced when you cover the fish filets.
Baked Trout Recipe
For the recipe and nutrition facts, click below.
Do you like great tasting fish recipes? This Baked Trout is so easy to prepare and has amazing flavor. Brown trout is an interesting fish, which has a great yet mild flavor that doesn't require a lot of boosting so that the fish can be easily prepared.
- Trout Fillets 2 lbs
- Onion, White - diced 1/2 cup
- Butter 2 tablespoon
- Lawry's, seasoned salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Morton's Seasoning Blend 1/4 teaspoon
- Gather all of your ingredients to make your oven-baked trout.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Using a standard baking sheet, cut a piece of foil that is double the size of the sheet pan.
- Cover the sheet pan with ½ of the foil so that the shiny side is down, and the dull side of the foil is up. The idea of this is to be able to fold the other ½ of the foil over the fish and seal to cook.
- Spread the butter pieces on the sheet pan foil.
- Sprinkle some of the seasoned salt and pepper onto the buttered foil.
- Lay the trout fillets in a single layer on top of the seasoned butter, making sure that you are doing this on the sheet pan.
- Lightly season the fish fillets one last time.
- Cut the onion into small pieces, and place onto the top of the trout fillets.
- Fold the foil over so that you are completely covering fish. Roll the foil ends together starting with the opposite side of the folded foil. Then roll both the end sides to completely sealing the fish into the foil pouch.
- With a sharp knife, gently poke a few holes into the top of the foil pouch. Make sure to not puncture the bottom of the foil.
- How Long to Bake Trout?
Place the sheet pan into the pre-heated oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Check the oven baked trout fish after 20 minutes to see if the fish is done. To do this, use a fork or knife to try and flake the thickest part of the fish. You want the fish to flake easily and be light in color. If you see any translucent color or if the trout fillets do not want to flake apart easily, then put back into the oven and cook for 5 - 10 minutes longer.
- Serve hot with your favorite side dish.
Amount Per Serving Calories 495Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 183mgSodium 483mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 61g
Note: For exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information is simply a guideline.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Your comment and 5-star rating take just seconds but helps other readers and helps our site gain more readers! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Stay in touch with me through social media!
Tried this recipe? Snap a picture and tag #frommichigan2019 on Instagram @frommichigan2019.
Like my page on Facebook.
Follow me on Pinterest
Join my Blackstone Griddle Facebook Pages: Blackstone Griddle Lovers & Outdoor Cooking – Recipes & Food Talk for Smokers, Blackstone, Grill & More
If you enjoy this recipe, you may enjoy the following: 50+ Blackstone Griddle Recipes