Griddle Roasted Brown Sugar Butternut Squash Recipe makes for a delicious fall side-dish. A great farm to table recipe that comes straight from my garden and served to my hungry family.
Easy to prepare in 15 minutes. A gluten free dish that only has three ingredients. Just the right texture and full of incredible flavor.
I love butternut squash! This butternut squash recipe is dressed up and is the perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving dinner.
Kids will love this sweet vegetable and will ask for more. This butternut squash dish is sure to please even the pickiest of squash fans in your household.
Add a little cinnamon and nutmeg to take it to the next level of delicious flavor. A great addition to chicken, sausages and almost any meat or poultry dishes.
Butternut squash is the most popular winter squash in the USA. Its texture is firm with a slightly sweet flavor.
Caramelized with a sprinkling of brown sugar. Once you start making butternut squash brown sugar, you will make it over and over again!
Enjoy butternut squash with brown sugar. It makes a great recipe for the entire family.
As an Amazon Associate, a Walmart Affiliate, and a member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Chef Sherry’s Cookbook
How to Cut a Butternut Squash
Butternut squash needs some preparation to cook it but it’s incredibly worth it. I suggest wearing disposable rubber gloves because the squash will ooze with sticky liquid that will not want to come off your hands.
Use a whole butternut squash that has been washed clean. The first step should consist of cutting off both ends of the squash in order to avoid them from falling when you are cutting it.
Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise by sitting it up on its big end and slice down the middle from the thin end to the thick end. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and goop.
Then cut the squash in workable smaller pieces. You should end up with 4 or 8 pieces.
The next step includes peeling the skin of the squash. You can easily peel it with a good vegetable peeler.
Dice the squash into small cubes. This step can be done ahead of time and stored in the fridge overnight.
You can also use precut butternut squash in the produce section to save time on preparation.
Join My Blackstone Griddle Lovers Facebook Group!
My choice of flat top griddle is a Blackstone Griddle. Pick from a gas griddle or an electric griddle. They come in various sizes, accessories, and options. Learn more at my New Owners Blackstone Griddle Buyers Guide! I own, use, and love my Blackstone 36″ Griddle, Blackstone 17″ Electric Griddle, Blackstone 22″ Griddle with Blackstone Pizza Oven Attachment, and Blackstone Griddle 5 Piece Accessories Kit.
How to Make Griddle Glazed Butternut Squash
I like to use olive oil. Add your cubed butternut squash on top of the hot oil.
With a griddle spatula, toss the squash cubes around to coat with the olive oil. Spread into a single layer for faster cooking.
Let cook for 2 to 3 minutes, uncover, and use your griddle spatula to stir the squash around. Apply more water, cover, and cook until tender.
Once the griddle butternut squash is golden brown and tender, uncover. Add the light brown sugar to the top of the roasted butternut squash.
Let the brown sugar caramelize on the squash. Toss to combine. When the desired doneness is achieved, remove from the griddle to a serving dish.
Serve immediately. Eat right away because the caramelized brown sugar will set up when it gets cold.
How to Store Leftover Butternut Squash
Brown sugar griddle butternut squash is best served warm after it has been freshly cooked. But, if you have leftover butternut squash, store in an airtight container for up to 6 days. Reheat in the microwave using 30 second intervals until the desired temperature is reached.
What to Serve with Caramelized Butternut Squash
There is so many things that will go with this griddle glazed butternut squash. This brined turkey breast is a great choice.
Roasted Butternut Squash Tips
- The easiest way of making it less sweet is by adding less brown sugar.
- Add a tablespoon of melted butter with the brown sugar.
- Sprinkle a dash of ground cinnamon or ground nutmeg as the brown sugar is turning into a glaze over the squash.
- Add maple syrup or substitute some maple syrup instead of the brown sugar.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper as the roasted butternut squash cooks.
If you don’t have a Blackstone Griddle, that’s okay! Make this roasted butternut squash with brown sugar on a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper in the oven to 400° F.
Bake in the oven until tender. This recipe can also be prepared on the stove top in a sauté pan.
More Butternut Squash Recipes
Brown Sugar Butternut Squash – FAQ
Yes, for this recipe, you need to peel the butternut squash before roasting on the Blackstone Griddle.
The best way to soften butternut squash is to clean, peel, and dice into small pieces. Then quick cook on a flat top griddle with a dome lid and a little bit of water to steam and help with the cooking process.
Brown Sugar Butternut Squash Recipe
For the full recipe and nutrition calories, click below for the recipe card.
- Butternut Squash, cut, peeled and small cubed 4 cups
- Olive Oil 1 teaspoon
- Brown Sugar, Light 2 tablespoon
- Wash and cut the butternut squash into pieces.
- Cut the squash in half, the long way and cut those two pieces in half again. Finally, cut all four pieces in half the short way.
- With a vegetable peeler, peel all the skin from the squash. Discard the peelings.
- With a spoon, clean the seeds and goop out of the squash. Dispose of the seed guts.
- Cut each of the butternut squash pieces into a small dice.
- Preheat your Blackstone Griddle to the low or medium low setting. When the Blackstone flat top Griddle is hot, squirt some of the olive oil (or oil of your choice) onto the griddle.
- Place the cubed butternut squash pieces on top of the hot oiled griddle.
- With a griddle spatula, toss the squash cubes to coat the oil.
- If desired, season with salt and pepper.
- Using a squeeze bottle of water, squirt about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the water around and on top of the squash.
- Cover the diced butternut squash with a dome lid right away to trap the steam from the water.
- Griddle cook for several minutes.
- Uncover and toss the butternut squash with a griddle spatula.
- Continue cooking the squash with a dome lid and add more water if needed until the desired doneness is achieved.
- Some like their squash cubes firm and al dente while others like their squash tender and soft.
- Add a tablespoon or two of light brown sugar on top of the cooked squash. If desired, season with cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Griddle cook until the brown sugar starts to bubble. Toss all ingredients with a griddle spatula.
- Remove from the flat top griddle and place in a serving dish. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Amount Per Serving Calories 226Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 20mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 13gSugar 19gProtein 4g
Note: For exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information is simply a guideline.
#squash #butternut #butternutsquash #butternutsquashrecipes #blackstonegriddle #blackstone #blackstonegriddlerecipe
Did you enjoy this recipe? Your comment and 5-star rating take just seconds but helps other readers and helps our site gain more readers! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Stay in touch with me through social media!
Tried this recipe? Snap a picture and tag #frommichigan2019 on Instagram @frommichigan2019.
Join my Blackstone Griddle Facebook Pages:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel – Sherry Ronning – to get notification of my latest videos.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may enjoy the following: 140+ Blackstone Griddle Recipes