If you are looking for peppermint deserts to take to your holiday party, then this candy cane scomuffie recipe will be a great hit!
Without a doubt, this crushed candy cane dessert is easy to make in 30 minutes with ingredients you have on hand.
Scomuffies are a cross between candy cane muffins and candy cane scones but can also be considered candy cane cookies.
This candy cane recipe is an easy way to use up all of those extra sugar decorations that have been hanging on your tree.
Every year I search for different easy Christmas cookie recipes to add to my ever-growing baking list. This year the elf in shelf ideas is helping me bake!
How to make candy cane cookie.
First of all, gather your ingredients needed to make these scomuffies. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 163 degrees celsius.
Don’t have buttermilk?
Do not worry, buttermilk is easy to make with two ingredients. Milk and lemon juice or white vinegar, in fact! You can use any type of milk such as whole, 2%, skim or even almond milk.
The moist center of the scomuffie comes from the cold butter chunks. Therefore, the butter needs to be cold and cut up in small chunks before added to the flour mixture.
The next step would be to whip up the egg. Combine the egg, buttermilk and peppermint extract together in a bowl.
Combine the flour, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in the KitchenAid mixing bowl.
Add the cold butter chunks to the flour mixture with the help of “elf on a shelf“. Mix about 3 to 5 minutes until the flour mixture looks grainy.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until ingredients are just combined. Finally, mix in the crushed candy canes. DO NOT OVERMIX!
Time to portion out your candy cane scomuffies!
A tip that I have about baking the scomiffies is to use parchment paper to line the baking pan because the candy cane melts and wants to stick to the pan.
See the video for a demonstration. The elf on a shelf loves to make scomuffie dough balls!!
Last of all, bake the candy cane scomuffies at 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 163 degrees Celsius for 10 to 12 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick.
Favorite Christmas cookies recipes garnish.
Combine the powdered sugar, 1 ½ tablespoons of milk and 1 drop of peppermint extract in a small bowl until smooth. You can keep the icing all white or color half of the icing red or pink to have two different colors to use.
Place icing in a zip lock bag or a pastry bag and cut a small hole from the tip or corner of the bag. When the scomuffies are cooled zig-zag the icing over the top
If you are looking for peppermint deserts to take to your holiday party, then this candy cane scomuffie recipe will be a great hit! Without a doubt, this crushed candy cane dessert is easy to make in 30 minutes with ingredients you have on hand.
- Flour, all purpose 1 lb. 4.5 oz (4 2/3 cups) (580 g) (1096.41 mL)
- Sugar, granulated 7.5 oz (1 cup) (212 g) (249.71 mL)
- Salt, iodized 0.3 oz (1 tsp) (8 g) (6.66 mL)
- Baking Powder 0.85 oz (5 tsp) (24 g) (26.67 mL)
- Baking Soda 0.1 oz (1/2 tsp) (3 g) (4.35 mL)
- Butter, cold, small diced 8 oz (1 cup) (226 g) (235.66 mL)
- Egg 1 each (1.8 oz) (50 g)
- Buttermilk 9.3 oz (1 cup) (264 g) (255.07 mL)
- Peppermint Extract 0.05 oz (1/8 tsp) (1 g) (1 mL)
- Candy Canes, crushed 7.5 oz (1 cup) (212 g) (249.71 mL)
- Sugar, sanding 5.4 oz (2/3 cup) (153 g) (180.21 mL)
- Sugar, powder (confectionery) 4.6 oz (1 cup) (130 g) (254.40 mL)
- Milk 0.65 oz (1 Tbsp) (18 g) (17.39 mL)
- Peppermint Extract 0.05 oz (1/8 tsp) (1 g) (1 mL)
- Start with gathering all of your ingredients needed to make your scomuffie and measure the correct amount of each.
- Crush the candy canes in a zip-lock bag or a food processor.
- Cut the cold butter into small chunks and place back in the refrigerator to keep cold.
- In a KitchenAid mixer with a flat paddle, combine your dry ingredients which are the flour, sugar – granulated, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the cold, cut-up butter to the dry ingredients and mix on low until you achieve a grainy texture.
- Whip the egg in a medium bowl together with the buttermilk and the peppermint extract. Then add the egg/milk mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Next, blend until just incorporated. DO NOT OVERMIX!!
- Time to portion up the Candy Cane Scomuffie. Using a #40 scoop, measure out a level portion of scomuffie dough and roll the dough into the sanding sugar. Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place 12 sugared dough balls on a parchment lined sheet pan. See the video for a demonstration.
Bake the scomuffies at 325 degrees Fahrenheit (162.8 degrees Celsius) for 10-12 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick.
- Make the glaze.
Place the powdered sugar, milk. and peppermint extract in a bowl and mix until smooth. Put half the glaze in a piping bag or zip-lock bag and cut the tip. Color the other half of the glaze red or pink and put in a piping bag or zip-lock bag and cut the tip.
- After the scomuffies have cooled zig-zag the glaze over the top.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze up to 6 months.
Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the candy cane from melting and sticking to the pan.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I HAVE PERSONALLY USED. Thank you for your support!
SuperEze Best Ice Cream & Cookie Dough Scoop made from Stainless Steel (Size 40 Small Cookie scooper). Includes FREE Cookies Recipes PDF
Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition (blue-eyed girl scout elf)
Sugar Crystals White
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
Amount Per Serving Calories 100Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 14mgSodium 183mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 0gSugar 12gProtein 1g
Note: For exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information is simply a guideline.