You are going to love my Best BBQ Rub!! An all-purpose BBQ rub is a mix of basic spices which work great with chicken, pork, and beef. It is perfect for smoking, grilling, or roasting meats and you could also put it in vegetables and potatoes.
Barbecue spice rubs are the best meat flavoring blends especially for smoking. My batch lasts several months.
You may even package your blend of spices as presents for your friends or loved ones! I often grill and smoke a lot during the warm months, so I make sure to have plenty of this homemade BBQ Rub on hand.
Although barbecue sauce might seem like the most important component on your cooked meat, we want to make sure this BBQ dry rub is ready when you need it. You won’t believe how easy it is to make this BBQ seasoning and you probably have all the spices in your cabinet.
I think this is a simple BBQ rub recipe which combines the perfect amount of savory, sweet and spicy barbecue spices, all in one. Make ahead and it’s a very quick seasoning to cook with which will take your food to the next level.
Chef Sherry’s Cookbook
This product is extremely versatile – and matches well with everything from beef and pork to chicken or veggies and potatoes! This homemade spice mix is an effective and delicious way to inject bold barbecue flavors into some of your favorite dishes!
As an Amazon Associate, a Walmart Affiliate, and a member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Pulled Pork Rub
After a lot of experimenting, I have mastered an amazing smoked pulled pork recipe using this BBQ dry rub recipe. I love making my own spice mixes for my smoker and it’s my favorite rub recipe ever!
This delicious rub will go well on your pulled pork, I promise. The rub is not aimed primarily at pork. I also use it for chicken and veggies!
Smother your pork butt with yellow mustard and then coat it with this BBQ seasoning. Smoke the pork as normal.
Once done, shred the meat and remove any fat. The meat will not have a strong BBQ flavor but just the right amount of seasoning.
Ingredients for the Best BBQ Rub
Only 6 ingredients are needed for my perfect barbecue rub.
- Smoked Paprika
- Chili Powder
- Light Brown Sugar (dark brown sugar can be substituted)
- Black Pepper
- Granulated Garlic
- If desired you can add some of the following to create a different flavor BBQ rub: cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, ground chipotle pepper, ground cumin, hot paprika, mustard powder or dry mustard, celery seeds, or dried oregano.
How to Make BBQ Dry Rub Recipe
BBQ spice rub, referred to as a dry rub, is used for putting deep flavors into cooked fatty meats. There are many ways of using this recipe, as well as some specifically suited to grilled or smoked meats such as pork ribs & chicken.
Gather all the ingredients to make your homemade barbecue rub recipe.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Use a whisk and gently stir the ingredients together until well combined.
How to Store your Homemade BBQ Rub
Kitchen tip: store in tightly covered containers; you can divide your servings in small bowls each time you make your meal to avoid contaminating the spice mixture. When using the BBQ rub, make sure not to contaminate the whole jar by touching raw meat and then the rub mixture.
Homemade BBQ Rub Recipe Gift
This rub recipe makes the perfect gift. Whether it’s for a Christmas gift, Father’s Day gift, a birthday present, or even a bridal shower gift.
I buy inexpensive small glass jars (antique stores have all shapes and sizes) and order custom labels to place on the jars. Make a gift basket with a theme and add the jar of BBQ seasoning. Possible themes:
- Smoker basket – add an assortment of smoker tools, digital thermometer, hot pads, and the jar of the BBQ rub.
- Bridal Shower basket – new kitchen utensils, a cookbook, some of your favorite recipes written on recipe cards and placed in a new recipe booklet for the new bride and groom along with the best BBQ rub jar, or a
- Dad basket with an assortment of several different spices (and the barbecue rub mix), seasoned olive oils, and a themed item of something that they love such as a favorite sports team, hunting or fishing sign or an item for their man cave.
How do you use a BBQ rub?
I use this barbecue rub on many foods, including rubbing on pork meats, chicken pieces and even sprinkled on vegetables. When put on meats, you will want to coat the piece of meat with something so that the dry spices will stick to it.
You can use yellow mustard, an assortment of your favorite oils, or even water. I do not like mustard on anything, but I can’t taste the mustard flavor when spread on pulled pork meat and then coated with my best BBQ rub and smoked to perfection.
Best BBQ Rub – FAQ
A rub refers to the mixture of spices, salt and sugar used to season meat or vegetables before cooking. Contrary to rubs, seasonings can have additives added to them to extend the shelf life.
Best Barbecue Rub Recipe
For the full and nutrition calories, click below for the recipe card.
- Paprika, Smoked 4 1/2 tablespoons
- Chili Powder 3 tablespoons
- Brown Sugar, Light 3 tablespoons
- Salt, Table 1 tablespoon
- Black Pepper, Ground 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Granulated Garlic 3 tablespoons
- Gather all the ingredients to make your BBQ rub.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl with a whisk until mixed.
- You can use the BBQ seasoning right away or store in a glass jar with a sealed lid. Make sure to label and date the jar.
- Use this BBQ Rub recipe when making smoked, grilled, or roasted meats.
- Make several batches of this homemade BBQ rub recipe, place in decorative glass jars, and give as gifts for a Christmas present, birthday, or any special occasion.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Amount Per Serving Calories 26Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 472mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 1g
Note: For exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information is simply a guideline.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Your comment and 5-star rating take just seconds but helps other readers and helps our site gain more readers! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Stay in touch with me through social media!
Tried this recipe? Snap a picture and tag #frommichigan2019 on Instagram @frommichigan2019.
Join my Blackstone Griddle Facebook Pages:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel – Sherry Ronning – to get notification of my latest videos.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may enjoy the following: 140+ Blackstone Griddle Recipes