Rice pudding is an old fashion recipe that has been in my family for many years and tested many, many times. This creamy and delicious rice pudding with cooked rice dessert is best served warm topped with a little bit of cold milk!
My dad and brother, Joel, request this homemade pudding at least once a month. And how can you tell your dad no!! This baked rice pudding recipe will take you back in time as the cinnamon and nutmeg smells drifts from the oven!
As fall is creeping in the air this baked, custard-style pudding is a perfect treat.
If you like this pudding recipe then you might like this pumpkin creme brûlée.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Baked Rice Pudding Recipe
Twenty-five years ago when I asked my mom, Barbara Mackey, for her pudding recipe she said that she didn’t have a recipe. In this situation she just has the ingredients and would throw them all together to make her homemade pudding.
But, that does not work for me! I have spent the last twenty years perfecting my own easy recipe.
In fact, my dad, brother Joel, daughter Calli and nephew Alex have enjoyed my many attempts of getting this recipe to perfection. My dad has even given me fresh local Amish cow’s milk to make the old fashion pudding with.
As a matter of fact, I get this question all the time!! When I belonged to a MOPS (mothers of pre-schoolers) group and would take this old fashion dish to our meeting.
Every time I would get, “This is so good!”, “My grandma would make this for me!”, “OMG, can I have the recipe!?!?”
How To Make Rice Pudding?
Now, time to gather all of your ingredients to make your recipe.
Rice Pudding with Cooked Rice
I will make extra rice when making other dishes just so I can make this recipe! Just make sure that you cook the long grain rice because this recipe is made with cooked rice.
Afterward, crack the eggs into a large bowl. Whisk the eggs until combined.
After that, add the milk to the bowl and whisk the eggs and milk together. Immediately following, combine the sugar with the egg/milk mixture and stir to help dissolve the sugar.
And then, add in the vanilla and add the cinnamon and nutmeg, whisk to combine. However, I like to make a cinnamon raisin pudding!
Lastly, add the raisins and cooked rice to the egg mixture, stirring to combine all ingredients.
Following that, place pudding bowl or ramekins into a large baking pan and add about 1-2 inches of water to the pan. At last gently place pan in the oven on the lowest rack.
Rice Pudding Cooked Rice
First, bake this rice pudding cooked rice recipe for one hour.
I like to stir the ingredients after it has baked for an hour because the custard is starting to form a layer at the top. So that way the custard chunks are marbled throughout the dish.
If you like the custard, then just leave alone and continue baking. Bake another 45 minutes and test with a butter knife for doneness.
Insert knife into the center and when you pull it out, if the knife is clear, then it is done. Furthermore, if the knife has creamy remnants left on it the pudding needs to be baked longer.
Most importantly, I have had to bake this recipe in the oven for up the 3 hours until it is done. In other words, pudding can’t be rushed and needs lots of time to bake.
More Baked Desserts
⬇️ GET MY BLACKSTONE GRIDDLE COOKBOOK, TODAY!! ⬇️
⬆️ ⬆️ GET YOUR COPY TODAY!! ⬆️ ⬆️
Frequently Asked Questions
In fact, I have make this recipe in a pyrex large baking bowl, a pyrex rectangle cake pan size, two smaller bowls, and even different sized ramekins. Without a doubt, you can split this recipe in half or double it to make a really large batch.
This pudding recipe is a baked custard with cooked rice and raisins added to it.
My family has always used cooked long grain white recipe when making this rice pudding cooked rice recipe. If you don’t have cooked rice then you can make 1 2/3 cup of white long grain rice and that will make 5 cups of cooked rice.
This pudding recipe is made with cooked rice, milk, sugar, eggs, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Rice pudding is an old fashion recipe that has been in my family for many years. This creamy and delicious dessert is best served warm topped with a little bit of cold milk! As fall is creeping in the air this baked, custard-style rice pudding is a perfect treat.
- Rice, long grain-cooked 5 cups (2 pounds 5 oz) (104 g)
- Milk, whole 8 cups (4 pounds 5.6 oz) (197 g)
- Sugar, granulated 2 cups (15 oz) (426 g)
- Eggs, large 12 each (1 pound 6.1 oz) (625 g)
- Raisins 1 1/2 cups (7.3 oz) (207 g)
- Vanilla 1 Tablespoon (0.55 oz) (16 g)
- Cinnamon, ground 1 teaspoon (0.1 oz) (3 g)
- Nutmeg, ground 1/2 teaspoon (0>05 oz) (1 g)
- Just make sure that you cook the long grain rice because this recipe is made with cooked rice.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Whisk the eggs until combined.
- Add the milk to the bowl and whisk the eggs and milk together.
- Combine the sugar with the egg/milk mixture and stir to help dissolve the sugar.
- Pour in the vanilla and add the cinnamon and nutmeg, whisk to combine.
- I like to make a cinnamon raisin rice pudding! Add the raisins and cooked rice to the egg mixture, stirring to combine all ingredients.
- Pour into a large baking bowl and stir to evenly distribute ingredients. Place rice pudding bowl into a large baking pan and add about 1-2 inches of water to the pan. Gently place pan in the oven on the lowest rack.
- Bake for one hour at 350 degrees.
- Custard or stirred custard? I like to stir my rice pudding at this point because the custard is starting to form a layer at the top. That way the custard chunks are marbled into the rice pudding. If you like the custard, then just leave the rice pudding alone and continue baking.
- Bake another 45 minutes and test with a butter knife for doneness. Insert knife into the center and when you pull it out if the knife is clear then it is done. If the knife has creamy remnants left on it the rice pudding needs to be baked longer. I have had to bake my rice pudding in the oven for up the 3 hours until it is done. Rice pudding can’t be rushed and needs lots of time to bake.
- You can add more or less cooked rice depending on how you like your baked rice pudding.
- Don't like raisins? You can leave them out of the recipe.
- Switch up the cinnamon and nutmeg if you want a different flavor to your rice pudding.
- Whole milk? I have used heavy cream/milk mixture, lactose free milk, 2%, 1% and fat free milk. All will work but gives you a different flavor to your rice pudding. We like that old fashion rice pudding flavor so I have found the all whole milk works best.
- Don't have cooked rice? Making 1 2/3 cups of uncooked rice will give you 5 cups of cooked rice.
This page contains affiliate links. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I HAVE PERSONALLY USED. Thank you for your support!
Sweese 501.001 Porcelain Souffle Dishes, Ramekins - 8 Ounce for Souffle, Creme Brulee and Ice Cream - Set of 6, White
Pyrex Basics Clear Glass Baking Dishes - 2 Piece Value-Plus Pack - 1 Each: 3 Quart Oblong, 2 Quart Square
Pyrex 2-Quart Glass Bakeware Dish, (Set Of 2)
Pyrex Essentials Glass Oval Casserole high Resistance, 3 L
Amount Per Serving Calories 413Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 202mgSodium 144mgCarbohydrates 68gFiber 1gSugar 53gProtein 13g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Your comment and 5-star rating take just seconds but helps other readers and helps our site gain more readers! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Stay in touch with me through social media!
Tried this recipe? Snap a picture and tag #frommichigan2019 on Instagram @frommichigan2019.
Like my page on Facebook.
Follow me on Pinterest
Join my Blackstone Griddle Facebook Pages:
- Blackstone Griddle Lovers
- Outdoor Cooking – Recipes & Food Talk for Smokers, Blackstone, Grill & More
- Blackstone Griddle Post Seasoning, Recipes and Mods
- From Michigan To The Table
Subscribe to my YouTube channel – Sherry Ronning – to get notification of my latest videos.