This Easy Black Forest Cake Recipe is not merely a dessert, it’s a masterpiece that tantalizes with every bite! Prepare to surrender your senses to the decadent layers of a Black Forest Cake.
Your eyes are drawn to the lush blanket of a whipped cream cheese layer that is topped with a vibrant cherry filling. Along with layers of soft chocolate cakes and a rich creamy chocolate buttercream frosting.
An experience that you indulge in with irresistible temptation. With every forkful, your taste buds are transported to a realm of sweetness and rich chocolaty intensity.
This chocolate cake is pure bliss that lingers on your palate and imprints itself on your memory. Enjoyed on a special occasion or as a sweet escape, this confectionary marvel is a celebration of life’s simple pleasures.
If you find yourself in front of the delicious black forest cake recipe, succumb to the temptation, and embark on a journey into a world where pure chocolate collides with a creamy filling and lushes cherries!
Let’s get started as Chef Sherry walks you through this best Black Forest Cake Recipe with step-by-step instructions and answers your questions along the way.
From its origins in the black forest region of Germany to its international popularity, this traditional German dessert has become a timeless classic that brings joy to any occasion.
According to Wikipedia, black forest gâteau is also another name for this German black forest cake.
As an Amazon Associate, a Walmart Affiliate, and a member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links. Click on the highlighted text in a post to explore a product. If you purchase through one of them, I will receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). I ONLY EVER ENDORSE PRODUCTS THAT I TRULY LOVE. Thank you for your support!
Black Forest Cake Recipe Ingredients
- Chocolate Cake Layers – Use a chocolate cake mix to make your cake or use Chef Sherry’s homemade chocolate cake recipe.
- Cream Cheese Filling – Softened Cream Cheese, Powdered Sugar, and a tube of thawed Whipped Cream
- Cherry Pie Filling – You can make your own with fresh cherries if desired.
- Chocolate Frosting – Use my amazing homemade chocolate frosting recipe.
- Garnish if desired with Chocolate Curls
Chocolate Cake for Black Forest Cake Recipe
Also known as chocolate sponge cake. Use your favorite rich chocolate cake recipe when making a black forest cake.
An easy black forest cake with cake mix is my favorite way to make this cake. I have used a chocolate cake mix and just followed the recipe on the box.
A great choice is a devil’s food cake mix. But you can also use a German chocolate cake mix, triple chocolate fudge cake mix, or a dark chocolate cake mix.
Then split the cake batter up into 2 or 3 prepared pans (8-, 9- or 10-inch round pans) and bake in a 325°F oven until each cake is done. When I want to make everything completely from scratch, I like to make my homemade chocolate cake recipe.
It is a moist chocolate cake made with cocoa powder, baking soda, but no eggs. All these chocolate cake recipes will work, just make sure that your finished cakes are baked properly and not over or under baked.
I like to use this pan grease recipe whenever I am baking my chocolate cake.
How to Make a Cream Cheese Filling
What is a black forest filling made of? No whipping cream needed or trying to make a perfect whipped cream!
My black forest filling is made of 3 ingredients: cream cheese, powdered sugar, and cool whip topping. Gather all your filling ingredients.
I like to make this in a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, but you can use a hand mixer also. Add the softened cream cheese to the mixing bowl.
With a flat paddle, whip the cream cheese until smooth making sure to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl at least once. Add the powdered sugar and carefully mix on low until completely combined and smooth.
Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl. Add the thawed whipped topping (cool whip). Beat all together until combined making sure to scrape down the bowl.
You want a smooth cream cheese filling. If there are any lumps, then continue beating until smooth.
What Kind of Cherries Should I Use?
I like to make my recipes quick and easy! That is why I use canned cherry pie filling that has great cherry flavor.
I like canned cherries as they’re easier to find and they can be purchased any time of the year. Other options that you can use is fresh or frozen cherries that have been pitted.
Use sweet cherries or use tart cherries. Place in a pan on the stove and bring to a boil. If needed, add sugar to taste.
Mix cold water and cornstarch together and slowly pour into the boiling cherries until the desired thickness is achieved. Let the thickened cherry topping cool completely.
Use this as your cherry topping over the cream cheese filling layer. This amazing cake does not use maraschino cherries, cherry juice, cherry syrup, or cherry liqueur.
Homemade Chocolate Frosting Recipe
My homemade chocolate frosting recipe is the BOMB!! And super easy to make! I like to use this homemade chocolate frosting recipe because it tastes amazing, and I always have all the ingredients in the house.
Get my chocolate frosting recipe here. If you don’t want to make your own chocolate frosting, then you can use a tub of premade chocolate frosting.
How to Make a Black Forest Cake
Gather all your black forest cake ingredients. Cut the top off the bottom cake layer so that it is completely level.
Place that cake layer onto the center of a serving platter or cake stand. Spread whipped cream cheese filling on top of the cake. (If making a 3-layer cake, use half for each layer.)
Next, top the fluffy whipped cream cheese filling with the cherry filling. Add the next layer of chocolate cake on top of the cherry filling and gently press down.
Not too much or all the filling will squeeze out the side of the black forest cake. With a cake spatula, spread an even layer of chocolate frosting on the top chocolate cake.
Serve right away or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Want to Create Chocolate Shavings or Curls?
Do you want to make chocolate shavings or curls to garnish your black forest cake? Creating chocolate curls or shavings is surprisingly easy.
Simply take a bar of chocolate and use a vegetable peeler to scrape thin curls of shavings off the side of the chocolate bar. These delicate decorations add an elegant touch to your finished gorgeous cake recipe.
How to Store a Traditional Black Forest Cake
If you have leftover cake or need to prepare the cake in advance, this is how you can store it properly. Black forest cake should be stored in the refrigerator to maintain freshness due to the perishable ingredients in the filling and the frosting.
Place, uncovered in the refrigerator for about a half hour to stiffen up the frosting and the filling. Once everything is not sticky to the touch, cover the cake with a couple layers of plastic wrap or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Keep the cake away from strong odors as the cake will soak them up. Eat the cake within 2-3 days for the best taste and texture.
How to Freeze a Black Forest Cake
If you want to freeze your black forest cake to enjoy later or to make it ahead of time, follow these steps. Place in the refrigerator to “set” the cake for about 30 minutes.
Then wrap the cake in several layers of plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn. Place the wrapped cake in a freezer safe container. Label and date the container.
Freeze the cake for up to 2-3 months. When ready to serve, remove the cake from the freezer, unwrap the plastic wrap and let it thaw in the refrigerator.
What to Serve with this Easy Black Forest Cake Recipe
Pair this homemade black forest cake with a cup of hot coffee or a refreshing glass of milk. This dessert cake is great paired with other desserts and served during a holiday gathering.
More Layered Cake Recipes
If you liked this layered black forest cake, then you might like one of these other layered cake recipes. Try my famous chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting or my brown butter German chocolate cake recipe.
Black Forest Cake – FAQ
The Black Forest Cake is a decadent dessert that consists of layers of chocolate cake, cream cheese filling, cherry filling, and topped with a fluffy chocolate frosting.
Absolutely! It may sound intimidating, but making a black forest cake from scratch is a rewarding experience. Follow my easy step-by-step process, ensuring a delectable dessert! The effort is worth it!
The flavor of a black forest cake is considered a chocolate cake recipe. Made with layers of your favorite chocolate cake.
Chef Sherry’s Cookbook
Easy Black Forest Cake Recipe
Get the full recipe and nutrition calories as well as nutrition information below!
- Chocolate Cake Mix 15.25 ounces
- Eggs, Large 3 each
- Oil, Vegetable 1/2 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Cream Cheese, Softened 8 ounces
- Powdered Sugar 1 cup
- Cool Whip, Thawed 8 ounce
- Cherry Pie Filling 21 ounces
- Chocolate Frosting 2 cups
Make the Chocolate Cake
- Make the chocolate cake according to the directions on the box.
- Then split the cake batter up into 2 or 3 greased round baking pans (8-, 9- or 10-inch round pans) and bake in a 325°F oven until each cake is done.
- Set aside to cool.
- As the cakes are baking, prepare the cream cheese filling and the chocolate frosting.
How to Make Cream Cheese Filling
- Gather all your cream cheese filling ingredients.
- In a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, add the softened cream cheese to the mixing bowl. Fitted with a flat paddle, whip the softened cream cheese until smooth making sure to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on low until completely combined and smooth making sure to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Next, add the thawed Cool Whip - whipped topping. Combine all together until smooth and mixed making sure to scrape down the bowl. Continue mixing if there are any lumps until smooth.
- Get my homemade chocolate frosting recipe here. If you don’t want to make your own chocolate frosting, then you can purchase a tub of premade chocolate frosting.
Assembling a Black Forest Cake
- Gather all your cake ingredients.
- With a sharp knife, cut the top off the bottom cake layer so that it is completely level.
- Place that chocolate cake layer onto the center of a serving platter or cake stand.
- Spread the prepared cream cheese filling on top of the cake. (If making a 3-layer black forest cake, use half for each layer.)
- Next, top the fluffy cream cheese filling with the cherry pie filling. and spread around with a cake knife.
- Add the next layer of cake on top of the cherry filling and gently press down. Not too much or all the cherry filling will squeeze out the side of the black forest cake.
- With a cake spatula, spread an even layer of the chocolate frosting on the top chocolate cake. Serve the traditional black forest cake right away or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- I like to use my pan grease recipe whenever I am baking my chocolate cake.
- Decorate the easy black forest cake recipe with chocolate curls or chocolate shavings, a squirt of whipped cream, maraschino cherries, or colorful sprinkles.
Amount Per Serving Calories 366Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 39mgSodium 282mgCarbohydrates 56gFiber 1gSugar 36gProtein 3g
Note: For exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information is simply a guideline.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Your comment and 5-star rating take just seconds but helps other readers and helps our site gain more readers! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Stay in touch with me through social media!
Tried this recipe? Snap a picture and tag #frommichigan2019 on Instagram @frommichigan2019.
Join my Blackstone Griddle Facebook Pages:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel – Sherry Ronning – to get notification of my latest videos.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may enjoy the following: 140+ Blackstone Griddle Recipes